Most Active Stories
- State Rifle and Pistol says 'a ton of confusion' surrounds SAFE Act
- Nuclear waste facility in political, environmental limbo with full decommissioning still years away
- Deadline for assault weapon registration nears, resistance remains strong
- Cuomo maintains political pressure over property tax plan
- Beware, it's tick season again! New York NOW
New York NOW
Submit your fracking questions to New York NOW
States around the country are joining the rush to drill for natural gas, but New York is still deciding when and how it will allow hydrofracking, a controversial drilling technique that pumps water, sand, and chemicals into the ground to release natural gas.
New York State's Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) is at the center of a fierce public debate as it works on writing the rules and regulations that will govern the drilling industry.
Thanks to everyone who submitted questions about fracking for us to pose to Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) commissioner Joe Martens.