Most Active Stories
- State Rifle and Pistol says 'a ton of confusion' surrounds SAFE Act
- Nuclear waste facility in political, environmental limbo with full decommissioning still years away
- Deadline for assault weapon registration nears, resistance remains strong
- SAFE Act supporters were also out in numbers in Albany this week
- Cuomo maintains political pressure over property tax plan
Mapping the wind
When we started looking into wind power in New York state we thought there'd be a handy map that would show us where all the wind turbines are. We were wrong.
We'd heard of wind farms here and there, but as far as statewide context we were a bit stumped. So we made this map.
View Wind Power in New York State in a larger map
On it are all the existing and proposed wind power projects in New York state (all the ones the state Department of Environmental Conservation knows about at least).
If you zoom in really close on the green markers you can see the turbines themselves. We think we found the precise locations of most of the existing wind farms, but if you find any we missed, please let us know.
Also, a nifty Google Maps tip we just learned: if you right click any location on the map and click "What's here?", the precise coordinates of that spot pop up in the search bar.
Use the coordinates to hit us up with your findings. Crop circle sightings also welcome.